★ 43 (Wessex) Signal Regiment
43 Signal Regiment was a Territorial Army unit of the British Armys Royal Corps of Signals from 1920. It had its origins in a Volunteer unit of the Royal Engineers formed in the West Country in 1860. provided the communications for the 43rd Infantry Division during World War II. Its successor still serves as a squadron in todays Army Reserve.
This unit came as part of the 1st Devon and Somerset Royal engineers volunteers was formed in 1860. When volunteers were included in the territorial force as part of industrial reform in 1908, and the Devon and Somerset the unit is falling apart: most of Devons employees, to form the Devonshire fortress Royal engineers in Plymouth, while the Somerset contingent upon the condition of Wessex divisional engineers in bath and Weston-super-Mare. Wessex divisional Telegraph company was part of the newly units, but was separately based in Exeter, Devonshire, with the following organization:
Wessex Divisional Telegraph Company
- No 2 Devon and Cornwall Section attached to the Devon and Cornwall Brigade.
- No 4 Hampshire Section attached to the Hampshire Brigade.
- No 3 South Western Section attached to the South Western Brigade.
- HQ and No 1 Section at The Priory, Colleton Crescent, Exeter.
2-4, the nose section was mainly staffed infantry of the brigade to which they were attached. Divisional Telegraph companies was named signal since 1910.
2. World War I
July 29, 1914, the Wessex division was on Salisbury plain holds its annual training camp, when it was received precautionary orders, and the next day the division took up the war emergency stations in Somerset, Devon and Cornwall. The mobilization order arrived on the evening of 4 August. Between 10 and 13 August, the division focused on Salisbury plain, with HQ departments moving from Exeter to Tidworth to begin training for war. 24 September, at the request of the Secretary of state for war, Earl Kitchener of Khartoum, Wessex division assumes responsibility for service in British India to relieve the regular army there to go to the Western front. The infantry and artillery began on 8 October and reached India in November. Engineers, transport and other supporting units remained in the UK. Wessex division never saw service as a whole, although it was officially numbered the 43rd 1st Wessex division in 1915.As soon as the Wessex division went to India, the home depot began to pick up on the 2nd line different from the 1st Line in 2 / prefix. Selection and training of the 2nd Wessex division proceeded so well that he was sent to India in December 1914, and later called the 2 nd 45 th division of Wessex. Again and supporting units remained in the UK.
20 Nov 1914 1st Wessex divisional re-joined the 27th division, which was gathered mainly from the regular army, who returned from the Indian garrisons. The Lieutenant became the 27th company, Wessex divisional signal and went to France in December 1914, the first full company of TF signal is sent to the Western front. The 27th division served on the Western front almost a year, taking part in the second battle of Ypres. 17 November the division went from Marseilles to the Macedonian front.
In addition to raiding, 27th divisions only offensive action was from September 30 to October 4, 1916, in the attack across the river Struma to capture several villages, and several failed attacks on the farm Tumbitza in November and December. Little happened on the British part of the Macedonian front. The 27th division spent almost two years in the malarial valleys of the Struma, the only significant effect occurs when the division participated in the capture Homondos on October 14. The front became active again in September 1918, when the allies began the final offensive, and the 27th division was involved in the capture of the Roche Noir salient, then the passage of the Vardar and the pursuit to the Strumica Valley. After the armistice of Thessaloniki ended the fighting on the Macedonian front of the 27th division entered the Black sea in December 1918, having reached Batumi by the end of January. This force was part of the British intervention in complex situations independent of the regimes that have arisen in the Caucasus region after the collapse of the Russian and the Ottoman Turkish Empire. The units of the division were dispersed by the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic, the Democratic Republic of Georgia and the First Republic of Armenia. British troops began to withdraw in August 1919, the 27th division was disbanded between 7 and 24 September after the transfer of the allied troops in Batum.
2 / 1st Wessex divisional rejoined the 58th 2 / 1st London division, communications, becoming the 58th 2 / 1st Wessex divisional signal company, and went with him to the Western front in January 1917. He is involved in operations during the retreat of the Germans in the operation of the Hindenburg line Alberich in the third battle of Ypres. The Department was actively engaged in the German spring offensive of 1918 and then the allied Hundred days offensive beginning with the battle of Amiens in which the division was involved in fierce fighting over the Chipilly spur. During the final advance of the division has also distinguished himself in the battle of Epehy. Demobilization began after the armistice with Germany in November 1918, and by March 1919 the various videoconferencing reduced the division were entered into a division. The last units left France in late June 1919.
3. Interwar. (Межвоенный)
In 1920 again a signal service became independent of the Royal corps of signals ESR. 43rd Wessex divisional signal reformed in the monastery, monks, Exeter, in the Territorial army TA, which replaced the TF in 1921. The division was commanded by major, later Lieutenant-Colonel Godwin Michelmore and recruited from Exeter, Plymouth, Southampton and Salisbury. It also introduced a number of other units of the signal in the area of the division:
- 250th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment Signal Section at Exeter, forming 1939.
- 228th Field Artillery Signal Section at The Priory, The Friars, Exeter.
- 223rd Field Artillery Signal Section at 2 Redcliffe Parade, Bedminster, Bristol, later Southampton.
- 224th Field Artillery Signal Section at Hamilton House, Connaught Road, Southampton.
The cost of services from the cadet company of the Devonshire Fortress was also attached to the unit.
4.1. World War II Mobilisation. (Мобилизация)
When she was in twice in early 1939 after the Munich crisis, the division of the newly formed duplicate, 45th division, in which the signals are split in the 45th West country division signals under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel A. F. S. Fane, formerly the commander of the 43rd division signals.
4.2. World War II Organisation. (Организация)
In 1939, the organization of infantry divisions signal, and attachments of their units as follows:
- M Section – maintenance.
- HQ Company. (Компанию HQ)
- Q Section – quartermasters.
- No 1 Company – Divisional HQ.
- A & C Sections – wireless.
- B Section – cable.
- O Section – operating.
- D Section – despatch riders and cipher section.
- No 2 Company – divisional artillery.
- H Section – HQ divisional artillery.
- E, F & G Sections – individual artillery regiments.
- J, K & L Sections – individual infantry brigades.
- No 3 Company – infantry brigades, reconnaissance and RE.
- R Section – reconnaissance battalion.
When it was added to the tank brigade of the army:
- No 4 Company. (Нет 4 Компании)
- W Section – army tank brigade.
- X, Y & Z Sections – individual tank regiments.
During the war, the division of the signals was extended to cover divisions radiotelephony R / T and wireless telephony W / T grid, administrative services, departments, logistics, communications videoconferencing brigade tactical headquarters, and air communications.
4.3. World War II Home Defence. (Дом Обороны)
She was mobilized early in the war and Wessex 43rd division began training in his field. It was intended to reinforce the British expeditionary force BEF in France, but the German attack on the low countries on may 10 ended the phoney war before the division was ready. When the battle of France was lost and the BEF was evacuated from Dunkirk, 43rd W Department was one of the few reasonably well-equipped formations remained in the House of Power. It was part of the bet mobile reserve, located on the line from Northampton via the North London to Aldershot, from which brigade groups can be sent to any threatened area. In a period when the invasion was most threatened, the division was stationed in North London.
By the end of 1940 the division was stationed in the Eastern part of Kent, where he remained for the next four years in the framework of the XII corps, first in defensive mode, later trainees. Later it was noted that the usual training round area stone street bore a marked resemblance to the Bocage countryside in Normandy, where he will continue to fight. Exercise signals in practice, all HQs and staff were frequent. The divisional commander, major-General Ivor Thomas, often heard on the radio, no: he had a voice that seemed to be able to blast your way through interference from wireless programs, fighter Command operations, other groups, activities, and even the worst splutterings and explosions of wireless sets of the period. The history of the departments emphasizes a high level of efficiency is achieved through divisional signals during this long period of hard training.
In June 1942 the division was transformed into the mixed division, first 25 and later the 34th tank brigade replacing one of the infantry brigades, with the subsequent reorganization of the units of the signals. This organization was abandoned in September 1943, when the third infantry brigade was restored.
4.4. World War II Operation Overlord. (Операция Оверлорд)
XII corps and 43rd W division was assigned to the 21st army group for the invasion of the allies in operation overlord in Normandy. They were later formations, with 43-m W Department plans to complete planting 14 days after planting in the D day 14, June 20. However, delays in delivery and a storm between 19 and 22 June delayed its arrival, the division is finally concentrated around Bayeux on June 24. Its first action, operation "Epsom", since June 26, was sentenced following the 15th Scottish division in advance and the consolidation of captured targets, including some heavy fighting against Panzer counter-attack on Cheux. Later the division captured Mouen, then dug in to defend the bridgehead across the river Odon against counter-attacks.
4.5. World War II Hill 112. (Холм 112)
The divisions first major offensive was operation Jupiter to take Hill 112, which was briefly captured British armor in Epsom, but had to be abandoned. The attack on July 10, involved fierce fighting and heavy losses, and was only partially successful, with the top left in the ground where there are no people. Division had to complete their capture, and then hold a vital position against heavy bombardment and counter attacks for another 14 days, including surgery Express to capture Maltot on July 22.
At the end of July, the 21st Army was regrouped for a breakthrough from the bridgehead in Normandy and after a holiday 43-m W Department moved to the XXX corps attack in operation lively Mont Pinçon. Signals of inter-connection should be arranged with the 8th armoured brigade, which was assigned to support infantry. After heavy fighting with infantry and tanks managed to take the commanding heights by surprise. Breakthrough achieved, the XXX corps drove to the Seine river, where the 43-m W division made the assault crossing, then bridge the river in Vernon.
4.6. World War II Arnhem. (Арнем)
After crossing the Seine, W 43rd division was grounded while the rest of XXX corps passing. He then climbed up on the Dist to take part in the XXX corps thrust to connect the bridges captured by the airborne troops during operation Market garden starting from September 17. The division was to follow the Guards armoured division, performing transitions the assault, if any of the bridges were destroyed, and to protect the corridor to Arnhem. Move up the only way road the club was slow, but on September 21 43rd W division caught up with the guard and took over the responsibility for the protection of the Nijmegen bridges. By that time, the division broke through to join the Polish parachute brigade on the banks of the Nederrijn next day, the 1st airborne division was virtually destroyed. All Wessex could attack passes for ferry survivors back across the river on the night of 24 / 25th September. Airborne radios were not working, and the only connection was through London and the 64th medium regiment, Royal artillery, attached to 43rd W Department.
Wessex 43rd division spent weeks defending the XXX corps the Western flank of the island, in the lowland between the Waal and Nederrijn. Then it was moved on the Eastern flank to cooperate with the American forces to reduce Geilenkirchen basic operations of shearing, after which the area was protected through the winter weather.
4.7. World War II Rhineland. (Рейнланд)
After the German Ardennes offensive was stopped, W 43rd division returned to the offensive in early 1945, the grouse of the operation to reduce the Ruhr triangle, although the operation was prevented by bad weather. Then the division fought a month-long military operation Reichswald present to capture the fish, roll up the defense of the Siegfried line, cross the Goch escarpment and capture Xanten on the Rhine.
Wessex 43rd division was given a subsequent task in the assault crossing of the Rhine operation plunder. Its leading brigade crossed on March 25 for the 51st highland division, who attacked in the night of 23 / 24th March. She was in a fight, but was broken on March 29. During the subsequent persecution, W 43rd division was given the task of opening the route club XXX corps. The Department was divided into five groups battle for first 25 miles, 40 km, including part of 8th armoured brigade, a complex process for HQs and units of the signal. The offensive began March 30: the German rear guard was either to overcome or to bypass, and the Twente canal was crossed. The chase continued until the end of April and ended with the capture of Bremen and XXX corps trip to the Peninsula of Cuxhaven. Hostilities ended on may 5, after the German surrender at Luneburg Heath.
After a period as occupation troops in the area of XXX corps 43rd Wessex divisions of the headquarters and units of the TP discharged at the end of the war.
4.8. World War II 45th West Country Divisional Signals. (45-й Западный отделов сигналов страну)
45 division and its units are only formed at the beginning of the war and they did not reach full independence until September 7, 1939. As his 1st Line of the parent, the division remained in training in the West country during the phoney war. After Dunkirk he was moved in prospective areas of invasion in the Southeast of England, but by the spring of 1941, he was in the rate of reserve in the Midlands. It was regarded as training and order of battle, and was placed on lower establishment in December 1941, carrying out official business in Essex and Northern Ireland.
During the war, the main role of the bottom-creating groups began to supply reinforcements in battle formation. In particular, the 45th Western departments of the country signals are also supplied sections of the signal to the beach groups, which play a vital role in the landings in operation avalanche Salerno and Normandy. By August 1944 the drain to supply reinforcements to the 21st army group fighting in Normandy had reduced the 45th division, which was dispersed: the 45th San. node divisional signals was disbanded on 30 August 1944. The existing 77th holding division was renamed in the 45th division of the holding and its units signal similarly renumbered. By the way, 77th / 45-e division of the holding company was commanded by an officer of TP, major-General Godwin Michelmore, who was the 43rd Wessex divisional signals, the first in 1920.
5. Postwar. (Послевоенные)
When the territorial army was reconstituted in 1947, the 43rd Wessex infantry division signal regiment was reformed in February, the following organizations:
- 3 Squadron at Torquay.
- Regimental RHQ at Taunton.
- 1 Squadron at Exeter.
- 2 Squadron at Bridgwater.
By 1957, 3 squadron moved to Bristol, my place in Torquay, taken by the troops, while the Jay squad was formed in Salisbury and L troops in Plymouth. In addition, each brigade of the division had its own squadron signal troop in artillery regiments and detachments of the rear link in infantry battalions. Since 1959, they have been numbered as follows:
- 342 Signal Sqn, formed from 130 Infantry Brigade Signals.
- 340 Signal Sqn, formed from 128 Infantry Brigade Signals.
- 341 Signal Sqn, formed from 129 Infantry Brigade Signals.
By 1960, was the divisional signal regiment is organized as follows:
- Light Aid Detachment, Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers.
- Communications Section Troop.
- RHQ. (Штаб-квартире)
- S Troop stores. (Войска магазины)
- M Troop technical maintenance.
- Squadron HQ SHQ. (Штаб эскадры КЖК)
- HQ Squadron. (Штаб эскадры)
- Q Troop quartermasters. (Вопрос интенданты войск)
- R Troop radio relay.
- SHQ. (КЖК)
- C Troop lines. (С линии войск)
- O Troop signal centre.
- 1 Squadron. (1 эскадрильи)
- 2 Squadron. (2 авиаотряда)
- A Troop radio Divisional Main HQ.
- SHQ. (КЖК)
- B Troop radio Divisional Rear HQ.
In 1960, the 43rd Wessex model converted from infantry divisions in the region, with the subsequent reorganization of its signals, which was renamed the 43rd regiment of radio of Wessex. In addition, the regiment took over command in the war Department, the signal squadron in Plymouth, 74 independent squadron, the womens Royal army corps and a squadron of the 57th signal regiment, and also assume the administrative responsibilities for 340, 341 and 342 of the brigade signal squadrons.
5.1. Postwar. 43 Wessex Signal Squadron. (43 Уэссекса Сигнал Эскадре)
In 1967, when she was turned into a Territorial army and volunteer reserve TAVR, the regiment was reduced to a single 43 Wessex signal squadron, based in Bridgewater integral part 37 of Wessex and the Welsh signal regiment based in Bristol with 866 Communicator in Cheltenham and 867 and 899 signal troops in Bristol under command. In November 1992, the squadron transferred to the support 21 signal regiment air in the former air force base in Color.
The strategic defence review of 1998 provided, the squadron moves to 72 volunteer regiment signal radio support regiment with headquarters at Oxford, but that did not happen. However, the army 2020 changes were announced in July 2012 saw bath-based 43 squadron to absorb the Bristol squad of 57 city & County of Bristol signal squadron and is renamed Wessex 43 city & County of Bristol signal squadron. This work was carried out in 2014, when the squadron transferred back from the hybrid 21 signal RGT to become a part of 39 Skinners signal regiment volunteers.
6.1. Commanders. Commanding Officers. (Командиры)
The following have served as commander of the division and the duplicate:
43rd Wessex divisional signals
- Lt-Col W.G. Daubeny, 1951.
- Lt-Col A.F.S. Fane, 1938.
- Brevet Col C.H. Walsh, DSO, MC, 29 October 1934.
- Lt-Col M. Trethowan, OBE, 1944–45.
- Lt-Col R.W. Atkinson, OBE, 1954.
- Lt-Col W.F.B. Nutt, OBE, TD, 1947.
- Lt-Col J.W. Gordon, 1942.
- Lt-Col John, 3rd Lord Basing, 11 February 1929.
- Lt-Col J.B. Lindsay, 1942.
- Lt-Col W.G. Michelmore, DSO. MC, 1 April 1920.
- Lt-Col M.F.M. Parkes, MC, 1940.
- Lt-Col A.J.G. McNair, 1943.
- Lt-Col E.R. Moore, 1939.
- Lt-Col H. Bartlett, 1940.
45th Western departments, signals the country
- Lt-Col R.A. Forsyth, TD, 1942–44.
- Lt-Col A.F.S. Fane, 1939.
- Lt-Col H.S. Lewis-Barclay, 1940.
- Lt-Col W.G. Tucker, 1941.
6.2. Commanders. Honorary Colonels. (Почетные Полковники)
The following served as honorary Colonel of the unit:
- Lt-Col John, 3rd Lord Basing, former CO, appointed 29 October 1934.
- Col H.T.G. Moore, CMG, DSO, appointed 29 October 1924.
- the Regiment s Support Squadron. In 2006, 94 Berkshire Yeomanry Squadron transferred from 31st Signal Regiment In 2014, under Army 2020, 43 Wessex and
- regiment was formed as the 37th Wessex and Welsh Signal Regiment Royal Signals Volunteers in 1967. It initially consisted of 43 Wessex Signal Squadron
- The 43 rd Wessex Infantry Division was an infantry division of Britain s Territorial Army TA First formed as the Wessex Division in the Territorial
- Reserve Signal Squadron 37th Wales and Western Signal Regiment Volunteers Headquarters Squadron 43 Wessex Signal Squadron 53 Welsh Signal Squadron
- RE whose history dated back to 1868. As the engineer component of the 43 rd Wessex Division, the unit served in both World Wars, distinguishing itself
- regiments until 1946. 1 1st London Signal Co was replaced in 58th Division by 2 1st Wessex Signal Co, whose parent 45th 2nd Wessex Division had gone to garrison
- the 43 rd Wessex Infantry Division. It remained with 43 rd Division until the end of the war. In 1947, the Regiment was reformed as the 255th Wessex Medium
- the 43 rd Wessex Division and was originally formed as the 2nd Wessex Division in 1914 1915 before later being renamed as the 45th 2nd Wessex Division
- Middlesex Regiment Duke of Cambridge s Own was a line infantry regiment of the British Army in existence from 1881 until 1966. The regiment was formed
- Royal Life Guards Signal Regiment Train Regiment Armed Forces Bornholm, Disbanded. Bornholm s Forces, Disbanded. Danish Life Regiment Disbanded. Intendant
- Upper Bristol Road became home to 43 Wessex City County of Bristol Signal Squadron, 39 Skinners Signal Regiment in 2000 and remains an active Army
- Camp 43 rd Wessex Brigade and Headquarters South West Chaplains Group, Jellalabad Barracks 39th The Skinners Signal Regiment Corps of Royal Signals Regimental
- Reconnaissance Regiment 43 rd Reconnaissance Regiment formed from 5th Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment transferred to the 43 rd Wessex Division from
- became active the following month, as a second - line duplicate of the 43 rd Wessex Infantry Division. The division s battalions were all raised in the
- Headquarters South West, merging units and personnel of 43 Wessex Brigade with Royal Artillery regiments The brigade s mission will include commanding, preparing
- Cheshire Regiment Worcestershire Regiment Staffordshire Regiment Welsh Brigade: Royal Welsh Fusiliers, South Wales Borderers, Welsh Regiment Wessex Brigade:
- reduced. The regiment lives on in B Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry and Y Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry Squadrons of the Royal Wessex Yeomanry. The regiment took part
- from 5th Division on 24 March 1915 1st Wessex Divisional Signal Company, T.F. R.E. joined from the Wessex Division on 20 November 1914 Royal Army
- Scottish Signal Regiment Royal Corps of Signals 39th Wessex and Yeomanry Signal Regiment Royal Corps of Signals 40th Ulster Signal Regiment Royal
- Queen s Own Oxfordshire Hussars Field Regiment, RA. It formed part of 43 rd Wessex Division. However, in 1950 it was amalgamated with 299 Royal Bucks
- 457 Wessex Heavy Air Defence Regiment RA TA The two units were renamed the 457th Wessex Heavy Air Defence Regiment RA Hampshire Carabiniers Yeomanry
- 1 1st London Signal Co, RE rejoined 56th 1st London Division February 1916 58th 2 1st Wessex Signal Co, RE joined from 45th 2nd Wessex Division
- the Intelligence Corps 43 rd Wessex Brigade, Wyvern Barracks 30th Signal Regiment Royal Signals Blandford Camp Royal Wessex Yeomanry V Highfield
- XII Corps Troops, Royal Engineers XII Corps Signals Royal Corps of Signals Attached formations: 43 rd Wessex Infantry Division 53rd Welsh Infantry Division
- 1 5th Battalion, Queen s Royal West Surrey Regiment 2nd Battalion, 39th Garhwal Rifles 1st Battalion, 43 rd Erinpura Infantry 90th Punjabis 128th Machine
- Battalion, Royal Irish Fusiliers joined March 1917, left August 1917 22nd Wessex Welsh Battalion, Rifle Brigade joined November 1916 228th Machine Gun
- 2009: Visit to the regiment in Edmonton by The Countess of Wessex Colonel - in - Chief 2007: On 9 April, members and friends of the regiment participated in
- January 1916, left 3 February 1916 1 1st Wessex Heavy Battery RGA attached 24 January to February 1916 2 1st Wessex Heavy Battery RGA attached 24 January
- 2 2nd London Divisional Signal Company, Royal Engineers Divisional Pioneers 1 12th Battalion, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment joined 1 June 1916 to
- 24x FH - 70 22nd Engineer Regiment Perham Down No. 656 Squadron AAC 7th Rgt, AAC Lynx AH.7, Gazelle AH.1 43 rd Wessex Brigade, Wyvern Barracks
Users also searched:
Signal, Wessex, Regiment, Wessex Signal Regiment, 43 Wessex Signal Regiment, 43 (wessex) signal regiment,
no need to download or install
Pino - logical board game which is based on tactics and strategy. In general this is a remix of chess, checkers and corners. The game develops imagination, concentration, teaches how to solve tasks, plan their own actions and of course to think logically. It does not matter how much pieces you have, the main thing is how they are placement!online intellectual game →