★ Las Vegas Mission (1855-1857)
The Las Vegas Mission was one of the earliest European settlements in the Las Vegas Valley. It was established by missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or Mormons. In May 1855, at the direction of then Church President Brigham Young, thirty-two missionaries were sent to evangelize among Native Americans and establish a mission outpost in the Las Vegas Valley. The mission was abandoned in December 1857 due to growing political issues revolving Mormons and the threat of Native American attacks.
Between 1847 and 1869, came over 60.000 of Mormon immigrants and settled in the Salt lake valley. With the influx of the population in many settlements throughout Utah making Brigham young, are more likely to expand the geographical area of the temples outside the Salt lake Valley. The young Director many members of the Church to settle in the vicinity of Utah such as cache valley, Arizona, Colorado and new Mexico.
Mormons hope that their expansion led to both a larger geographical area for the Church, and provides new missionary opportunities. Came missionary opportunities with increased interaction with native Americans. Some of the initial interactions led to the Mormons the opportunity to increase their influence among various representatives of the indigenous population of America, and it gained influence opened up missionary work among native Americans. Mormons have a unique perspective to evangelism among native Americans. They believed that native Americans came from Israeli origin, who at one point migrated to America about 600 BC, but fell into transgression which caused them to lose favor in the eyes of God. The Mormons saw native Americans as people who go astray and believed it to be his duty to bring them back to the faith they have lost for many centuries. For this reason, many Mormon Outpost mission was established in the West.
The valley of Las Vegas was one of the regions decided to establish the mission on the basis of its geographical location as a point between cedar city, Utah and San Bernardino, California. The exact site chosen was Las Vegas springs for my small stream created by the only oasis for miles. Shortly after the settlement in may of 1855, the construction of Las Vegas and houses around him started to happen.
2. Prominent missionaries. (Выдающихся миссионеров)
Original expedition in 1855 was 32 missionaries and in April 1856, Brigham young sent additional missionaries. Many of these missionaries had served a mission and held office in the Church.
2.1. Prominent missionaries. William Bringhurst. (Уильям Брингхерст)
William Bringhurst was appointed Brigham young to be a mission President in Las Vegas. Bringhurst went to Utah as a member of company John Taylor in 1847. Arriving in the mission in 1855, Bringhurst devoted himself fully to ensure the success of the mission.
In 1856, Nathaniel V. Jones was sent Brigham young on a mission to qualify for some of the missionaries to work in the mines for smelting ore. Bringhurst Jones refused to take it missionary, and later return Jones said Bringhurst that Brigham young condemned the Bringhursts status as a mission President in Las Vegas and his membership in the Church.
Bringhurst later restored good relations with the Church and was appointed by Brigham young as one of the founders of the Trustees of the Academy Brigham young is now in the University named after Brigham young.
2.2. Prominent missionaries. Jacob Hamblin. (Джейкоб Хэмблин)
Jacob Hamblin was drafted into the South Indian mission in 1853 and was awarded the title of" the Apostle to the Lamanites” Brigham young. Hamblin played an important role in the creation of many of the missions of the Church, who reached the area in Utah, California, Arizona and Nevada, including the Mission of Las Vegas.
Despite the fact that all the missions that Hamblin helped to establish the late fall, Hamblin still was a successful missionary among the native Americans. Part of the reason the Mormons were able to obtain good relations with the native Americans for the missionaries, as Hamblin, who was known as a friend of the Indians”. Even after the Church suspended its efforts in the evangelization of native Americans after the collapse of their many missions, Hamblin still traveled with the Indian border, so that he can continue to teach the natives.
2.3. Prominent missionaries. George Washington Bean. (Джордж Вашингтон В Зернах)
George Washington bean was baptized in the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints in 1841, at the age of 10. Four years after that, at the age of 14, he was called to serve as a member of the quorum of the seventy of the Church, a position usually given to men much older than bean. This position provides increasing responsibility, which included Church assignments, such as evangelism. His calling to the seventy-along with its ability to speak different dialects of the native American led to him being one of the 32 missionaries called to settle the mission of Las Vegas in 1855.
Bob served different functions in the mission, including being a clerk mission and Ministry as a teacher of the native language of America. However, like many other missionaries, Bean became confused by the introduction of ore minors sent by Brigham young. In September 1856, at the direction of William Bringhurst, beans and a group of missionaries returned to salt lake city to consult with President young. There trip was in vain, as no changes were made, and the mission will be soon abandoned this idea.
After returning to Provo, Utah after the mission, the beans will keep a lot of positions in society and the Church. Bin will serve as a legislator and judge in society, and also the Patriarch and a member of the stake presidency, LDS.
3. Life on the mission. (Жизнь на миссию)
The colonists sent by Brigham young, and headed by William Bringhurst, arrived at the scene, the Mission Las Vegas in June 1855. Missionaries adhered to the following main tasks:
- Serving as a station linking Mormon settlements between southern Utah and southern California.
- Protecting and keeping open the trails which allowed year-round travel and trade.
- Developing the sites agricultural potential.
- Working with and teaching the Native Americans about Jesus Christ.
With its original main objective for the development of agriculture and harvest before winter, urgent work began to build the irrigation ditch that diverted water from Las Vegas Creek in the South-East corner of the Fort. Additional irrigation ditches were dug to provide water to five acre farming plots of 2.5 acres per person. Most days we spent in the fields. After the crop grows well in mid-July, the focus has shifted to public works settlements and various projects were started. Bringhurst and a small group of people searched the mountains for timber for construction and Adobe bricks were made and used to build a shelter and build fortifications. At the end of 1855, the mission received horses from California and cattle and mules from salt lake city to help in their work.
When in 1856 began the mission of Las Vegas, apparently, by leaps and bounds for eternity. On 10 January, the mission received documents which helped to create an official post office. At the end of may, three missionaries received permission to bring their families from salt lake city to live in the Fort. Missionary John Steele said in April that lead Deposit found in the mine of Potosi was large and easily accessible, and a sample of ore was sent to Brigham young in salt lake city. Soon this was followed by more missionaries sent from salt lake city, Brigham young with the focus of mining lead ore.
4. Abandonment. (Отказ)
Struggling with the elements and constant theft of native Americans made it difficult for the mission to last long. The missionaries, however, was more than his own fight to worry about. Before the Exodus of the Mormons from Nauvoo to the Salt lake valley, the Mormons have serious conflicts with local and state governments in relation to some religious practices, such as polygamy. After arriving in salt lake city, continued to increase tensions between the U.S. government and the Mormons and the Federal army was deployed in the direction of Utah on suspicion of rebellion. As a result, Brigham young recalled all the settlers of the Carson valley, San Bernardino, and Las Vegas in order to better focus their people and the defense. Within a few weeks the settlements were abandoned.
Other sources attribute the social and political conflicts between those committed to the original mission and subsequent objectives of the FORTS abandonment. Missions original objective was to develop the agricultural potential of the sites, and later, more missionaries were sent to Brigham young for the extraction and processing of lead ore found in the mountains of Potosi. The conflict over where to focus manpower, lead to some missionaries from the mission and returning to salt lake city.
With their return to the valley of the great Salt lake, the missionaries left behind was still standing Fort and the mines of Potosi, and all it contains. The missionaries were extracted sixty tons of lead ore from the mine, leaving a pile of silver slag. Mined lead, was sent to salt lake city to be used as needed.
- history of the fort. Mormon Station State Historic Park Las Vegas Mission 1855 - 1857 Las Vegas Mormon Fort historical Geographic Names Information
- Sacramento missions Due to growth of missionary work in the area, the Nevada Las Vegas Mission split creating the Nevada Las Vegas West Mission On July
- 1855 and his son Robert Henry Steele was born on September 1, 1857 but died on June 1 the next year. Steele was called to the Las Vegas Mission in
- and Mexican Boundary Survey 1848 - 1855 led by William H. Emory. Lorenzo Sitgreaves led the first topographical mission across Arizona in 1851. Lt. Col
- Mormon Adventure in Oregon Territory, 1855 1858, 147. Dinnick Huntington Diary, August 30 and September 1, 1857 Leroy R. Hafen Ann W. Hafen eds.
- ISBN 978 - 1 - 57008 - 948 - 0 A Gamble in the Desert: The Mormon Mission in Las Vegas 1855 - 1857 2005, Mormon Historic Sites Foundation, ISBN 978 - 0976953203
- became president of Mexico by the succession mandated by the Constitution of 1857 when moderate liberal President Ignacio Comonfort was forced to resign by
- Frederick Choteau opened a trading post on American Chief now Mission Creek. In 1855 Shawnee became one of the first counties established by the Kansas
- Machine Long, Heather Berman, Mark Hawkins, Derek October 2, 2017 Las Vegas gunman kills at least 58 in shooting rampage, 500 more injured The Washington
- southern Nevada, passing over the arid country between the Muddy River and Las Vegas Springs, then over the Spring Mountains at Mountain Springs and Nopah
- Juan Alvarez Memoria Politica de Mexico. Retrieved August 9, 2012. 1855 Decreto del gobierno. Se nombra presidente de la Republica al general D.
- War May 1857 July 1858 an armed confrontation in Utah Territory between the United States Army and Mormon Settlers. In the summer of 1857 however
- Arizona Territory, situated along the Colorado River about 25 miles east of Las Vegas The site is now under Lake Mead. While some have said Call also helped
- the route Mormon colonists followed to settle southwestern Utah, a mission in Las Vegas and a colony in San Bernardino, California. This wagon route, also
- and author William Davis gave his first impression of the fort in the year 1857 Fort Union, a hundred and ten miles from Santa Fe, is situated in the pleasant
- Retrieved 2010 - 05 - 27. Accreditation Timeline University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Medicine. Retrieved October 25, 2016. History and Background:
- of a degree of latitude at the Equator. The mission was one of the first geodesic or geodetic missions carried out under modern scientific principles
- building of the Endowment House, a temporary temple which began to be used in 1855 to provide temple ordinances to church members while the Salt Lake Temple
- Rocha, Guy Nevada State Archives Historical Myth a Month: Myth 28, Las Vegas Nevada s Next State Capital Archived August 22, 2003, at the Wayback
- of Fortification Rock. Next day, they went 1 mile 1.6 km farther to Las Vegas Wash, which Ives thought might be the Virgin River, but had doubts because
- 15, 2015 Fremont school, at 60 years old, still performing its mission Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved January 23, 2018. Picture of the Fremont Cannon Nevada
- groups would lead to the state having twenty five governors between 1824 and 1855 During the century, the capital city was the scene of a number of important
- The California Gold Rush 1848 1855 was a gold rush that began on January 24, 1848, when gold was found by James W. Marshall at Sutter s Mill in Coloma
- and its suburbs. The Las Vegas Valley of Nevada experienced rapid growth in part due to Hoover Dam construction, and Las Vegas had tapped a pipeline
- University of Oklahoma Press. Moehring, Eugene P. Green, Michael S. 2005 Las Vegas A Centennial History. Reno: University of Nevada Press. p. 13. ISBN 0874176158
- southern and western end of the Cajon Pass, leading to the High Desert and Las Vegas Nevada The Friendly City City on the Move and, most recently, The
- published in 1996. The following novels were announced at the Star Trek Las Vegas 2019 convention. They were previously scheduled for release in 2010. Star
- 1899 1968 Founder and leader of Pērkonkrusts. CHAMBERLAIN, Houston Stewart 1855 1927 British - born racialist philosopher. CHARBONNEAU, Henry 1913 1982
- journalist, actor, and playwright d. 1909 1855 Cecilia Beaux, American painter and academic d. 1942 1857 Theo van Gogh, Dutch art dealer d. 1891
- sprang from early Mormon settlements include San Bernardino, California, Las Vegas Nevada, and Mesa, Arizona. Following the death of Joseph Smith, Brigham
Users also searched:
Mission, Vegas, Las Vegas Mission -, 1855 - 1857, Las Vegas Mission 1855 - 1857, las vegas mission (1855-1857), mormonism. las vegas mission (1855-1857), las vegas mission,
no need to download or install
Pino - logical board game which is based on tactics and strategy. In general this is a remix of chess, checkers and corners. The game develops imagination, concentration, teaches how to solve tasks, plan their own actions and of course to think logically. It does not matter how much pieces you have, the main thing is how they are placement!online intellectual game →