Топ-100 ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 194

ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 194




                                               

Tickle Channel

Tickle Channel is a narrow channel in the south part of Hanusse Bay, from 1 to 3 nautical miles wide and 5 nautical miles long, extending northward from The Gullet and separating Hansen Island from the east extremity of Adelaide Island. First see ...

                                               

Visser Hill

Visser Hill is a hill 2.5 nautical miles south of Mount Velain in northern Adelaide Island. Mapped from air photos taken by Ronne Antarctic Research Expedition and Falkland Islands and Dependencies Aerial Survey Expedition. Named by United Kingdo ...

                                               

Window Buttress

Window Buttress is a cliff rising to about 800 m near the southeast end of Fuchs Ice Piedmont, Adelaide Island, 3 nautical miles west-northwest of the summit of Mount Ditte. So named by the United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Committee, 1982, fr ...

                                               

Wormald Ice Piedmont

The Wormald Ice Piedmont is an ice piedmont covering the eastern part of Wright Peninsula, Adelaide Island, Antarctica, between Rothera Point and Sighing Peak. It was surveyed by the Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey in 1961–62, and by the Bri ...

                                               

Wright Peninsula

Wright Peninsula is a peninsula lying between Ryder Bay and Stonehouse Bay on the east coast of Adelaide Island, Antarctica. Named by the United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Committee in 1964 for Alan F. Wright, British Antarctic Survey surveyor ...

                                               

Alino Island

Alino Island is the predominantly ice-covered island in Biscoe Islands, Antarctica lying 1 kilometre south-southeast of Tula Point, Renaud Island. The feature is 1.2 kilometres long in southwest-northeast direction and 580 metres wide. The island ...

                                               

Arrowsmith Island

Arrowsmith Island is a mostly ice-covered island in the Pitt group of Biscoe Islands, Antarctica. It is 2.53 km long in west-southwest to east-northeast direction and 900 m wide. The island is named after the British cartographer Aaron Arrowsmith ...

                                               

Bernal Islands

The Bernal Islands are a group of four mainly snow-covered islands and a number of rocks lying in Crystal Sound, about 10 nautical miles east of the south end of Lavoisier Island, Biscoe Islands. They were mapped from surveys by the Falkland Isla ...

                                               

Burton Point

For the scheduled monument in Cheshire, England, see Burton Point, Cheshire Burton Point is the northeastern point of Krogh Island in the Biscoe Islands, Antarctica forming the north side of the northeast entrance to Vladigerov Passage. The point ...

                                               

Clements Island

Clements Island is an island 1 nautical mile long lying immediately south of Rabot Island in the Biscoe Islands. The French Antarctic Expedition, 1903–05, under Jean-Baptiste Charcot, gave the name Ile Clements Markham for Sir Clements Markham, P ...

                                               

Crystal Sound

Crystal Sound is a sound in Antarctica between the southern part of the Biscoe Islands and the coast of Graham Land, with northern limit Cape Evensen to Cape Leblond and southern limit Holdfast Point, Roux Island, Liard Island and the Sillard Isl ...

                                               

Decazes Island

Decazes Island is an island 0.8 km long, lying 2.4 km southwest of Belding Island at the southwestern extremity of the Biscoe Islands. The island is one of the largest of many small islets and rocks that fringe the northern side of Matha Strait. ...

                                               

Edholm Point

Edholm Point is the northwestern point of Krogh Island in the Biscoe Islands, Antarctica forming the west side of the entrance to Transmarisca Bay. The point was mapped from air photos by the Falkland Islands and Dependencies Aerial Survey Expedi ...

                                               

Foote Islands

The Foote Islands are a small group of snow-capped islands and several rocks, lying 12 nautical miles southeast of Cape Leblond, Lavoisier Island, in Crystal Sound. They were mapped from air photos obtained by the Ronne Antarctic Research Expedit ...

                                               

Grandidier Channel

Grandidier Channel is a navigable channel between the west coast of Graham Land, Antarctica, and the north end of the Biscoe Islands, extending from Penola Strait southwestward to the vicinity of Larrouy Island. It was first charted by the French ...

                                               

Heap Island

Heap Island is an island off the southeast coast of Renaud Island in the Biscoe Islands of the Graham Coast of Antarctica, between Jurva Point and Bates Island. In association with the names of sea-ice specialists grouped in this area, it was nam ...

                                               

Hennessy Islands

The Hennessy Islands are a group of small islands 2 nautical miles in extent, lying 4 nautical miles southeast of Jurva Point, the southeast end of Renaud Island, in the Biscoe Islands of Antarctica. The main islands in the group were first accur ...

                                               

Kereka Island

Kereka Island is a mostly ice-covered island in the Pitt group of Biscoe Islands, Antarctica. It is 1.75 km long in southeast-northwest direction and 580 m wide, and is separated from neighbouring Slumkey Island to the west-southwest by an 80 m w ...

                                               

Knezha Island

Knezha Island is the northernmost island in the Pitt group of Biscoe Islands, Antarctica. The feature extends 900 m in north-south direction and 880 m in east-west direction. The island is named after the town of Knezha in Northern Bulgaria.

                                               

Krivus Island

Krivus Island is the mostly ice-covered island on the east side of Johannessen Harbour in the Pitt group of Biscoe Islands, Antarctica. The feature extends 920 m in north-south direction and 1.06 km in east-west direction. The island is named aft ...

                                               

Krogh Island

Krogh Island is an ice-covered island about 5 nautical miles long lying close west of the southern part of Lavoisier Island in Biscoe Islands, Antarctica. The island is separated from Lavoisier Island on the east by Vladigerov Passage, from DuBoi ...

                                               

Kusev Point

Kusev Point is the point forming the north extremity of Pickwick Island and the west side of the entrance to Misionis Bay in the Pitt group of Biscoe Islands, Antarctica. The point is named after Metropolitan Metodiy Kusev 1838-1922, a leader in ...

                                               

Kuvikal Point

Kuvikal Point is the point on the east side of the entrance to Transmarisca Bay and the west side of the entrance to Suregetes Cove on the north coast of Krogh Island in Biscoe Islands, Antarctica. The eponymous group of small Kuvikal Islands, ce ...

                                               

Laktionov Island

Laktionov Island is an island 2 nautical miles long, lying 4 nautical miles northeast of Jurva Point, Renaud Island, in the Biscoe Islands of Antarctica. It was first accurately shown on an Argentine government chart of 1957. The island was named ...

                                               

Lavoisier Island

Lavoisier Island is an island 29 km long and 8 km wide, lying between Rabot and Watkins Islands in the Biscoe Islands, Antarctica. It is separated from Renaud Island and Rabot Island to the northeast by Pendleton Strait, from Watkins Island to th ...

                                               

Lewis Sound

Lewis Sound is a body of water running northwest–southeast between Lavoisier Island and Krogh Island to the northeast and Watkins Island to the southwest, in the Biscoe Islands of Antarctica. It was mapped from aerial photographs taken by the Fal ...

                                               

Lively Point

Lively Point is a point forming the southern extremity of Renaud Island in the Biscoe Islands of Antarctica. The Biscoe Islands were discovered in 1832 by a British expedition under John Biscoe, and were first roughly surveyed by the Second and T ...

                                               

Martin Islands (Antarctica)

The Martin Islands are a group of islands and rocks 5 nautical miles in extent lying 5 nautical miles east of the northern part of Renaud Island, and 1 nautical mile west of Vieugue Island in Grandidier Channel, Antarctica. A group of islands to ...

                                               

Maskelyne Passage

Maskelyne Passage is a passage between Larrouy Island and Tadpole Island to the east, and Cat Island, Runnelstone Rock and Hummock Island to the west, off the west coast of Graham Land, Antarctica. It was photographed by Hunting Aerosurveys Ltd i ...

                                               

Misionis Bay

Misionis Bay is the 1.6 km wide bay indenting for 2.35 km the northeast coast of Pickwick Island in the Pitt group of Biscoe Islands, Antarctica. It is entered east of Kusev Point and west of Plakuder Point. The bay is named after the ancient and ...

                                               

Mraka Sound

Mraka Sound is a roughly rectangular water body extending 5 km in southeast-northwest direction and 4.2 km in southwest-northeast direction in Biscoe Islands, Antarctica. It is bounded by Renaud Island on the south, Pickwick Island on the north a ...

                                               

Mutton Cove, Biscoe Islands

Mutton Cove is an anchorage 0.5 nautical miles northeast of the south end of Beer Island in the Biscoe Islands. The cove is formed by four small islands, Harp, Upper, Cliff and Girdler Islands. Beer Island shelters the cove from the west. Charted ...

                                               

Newburgh Point

Newburgh Point is the northwest point of Lavoisier Island, Biscoe Islands. Mapped from air photos taken by Falkland Islands and Dependencies Aerial Survey Expedition. Named by United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Committee after Louis H. Newburgh ...

                                               

Pendleton Strait

Pendleton Strait is a strait between Rabot and Lavoisier Islands, in the Biscoe Islands. The French Antarctic Expedition, in accordance with Charcots conception of this water feature, applied the name Pendleton Bay in January 1909. The British Gr ...

                                               

Pickwick Island

Pickwick Island is the largest of the Pitt Islands, in the Biscoe Islands, Antarctica. It is 9.45 km long in southwest–northeast direction, separated from Renaud Island on the southwest by Mraka Sound, and has its northeast coast indented by Misi ...

                                               

Plakuder Point

Plakuder Point is the point on the east side of the entrance to Misionis Bay on the northeast coast of Pickwick Island in the Pitt group of Biscoe Islands, Antarctica. The point is named after the settlement of Plakuder in Northwestern Bulgaria.

                                               

Ribnik Island

Ribnik Island is a mostly ice-covered island in the Pitt group of Biscoe Islands, Antarctica. The feature is 1 km long in southwest-northeast direction and 500 m wide. The island is named after the settlement of Ribnik in Southwestern Bulgaria.

                                               

Rodman Passage

Rodman Passage is a passage between the south end of Renaud Island and Rabot Island, in the Biscoe Islands. Charted by the French Antarctic Expedition under Charcot, 1908–10. Named by the United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Committee in 1959 for ...

                                               

Speerschneider Point

Speerschneider Point is a point forming the west side of the entrance to Malmgren Bay on the west side of Renaud Island, in the Biscoe Islands. First accurately shown on an Argentine government chart of 1957. Named by the United Kingdom Antarctic ...

                                               

Suregetes Cove

Suregetes Cove is the 2.47 km wide cove indenting for 1.9 km the N coast of Krogh Island in Biscoe Islands, Antarctica. It is entered east of Kuvikal Point and west of Zagrade Point. The cove is named after the Thracian god Suregetes.

                                               

Talbott Point

Talbott Point is the northern point of DuBois Island in the Biscoe Islands, off the coast of the Antarctic Peninsula. It was mapped from aerial photos taken by the Falkland Islands and Dependencies Aerial Survey Expedition, and was named by the U ...

                                               

Tambra Island

Tambra Island is a mostly ice-covered island in the Pitt group of Biscoe Islands, Antarctica. The feature is 1.17 km long in southwest-northeast direction and 700 m wide, and is separated from the adjacent Jingle Island to the northeast by a 60 m ...

                                               

Transmarisca Bay

Transmarisca Bay is the 4.3 km wide bay indenting for 3.2 km the north coast of Krogh Island in Biscoe Islands, Antarctica. It is entered east of Edholm Point and west of Kuvikal Point. The bay is named after the ancient Roman town of Transmarisc ...

                                               

Tula Point

Tula Point is a point forming the northeast extremity of Renaud Island in the Biscoe Islands. Alino Island lies 1 km south-southeast of the point. The Biscoe Islands were discovered in 1832 by a British expedition under John Biscoe and were first ...

                                               

Vaugondy Island

Vaugondy Island is a mostly ice-covered island on the northeast side of Johannessen Harbour in the Pitt group of Biscoe Islands, Antarctica. The feature extends 1.85 km in north-south direction and 1.68 km in east-west. The island is named after ...

                                               

Vladigerov Passage

Vladigerov Passage is the passage long 5.8 km in southwest-northeast direction and 1.05 km wide in Biscoe Islands, Antarctica between Lavoisier Island on the east and Krogh Island on the west. The eponymous Vladigerov Island, 420 m long in southw ...

                                               

Wardle Entrance

Wardle Entrance is a small southeast entrance to Johannessen Harbour, lying between Snodgrass and Weller Islands, Pitt Islands, in the Biscoe Islands. Photographed by Hunting Aerosurveys Ltd. in 1956 and mapped from these photos by the Falkland I ...

                                               

Watkins Island

Watkins Island is a low lying, ice-covered island 5 miles long, lying 3 miles SW of Lavoisier Island in the Biscoe Islands. The island was first mapped by the French Antarctic Expedition under Jean-Baptiste Charcot, 1903–05 and 1908–10, but remai ...

                                               

Weaver Point

Weaver Point is a point lying 2.5 nautical miles west of Tula Point at the north end of Renaud Island, in the Biscoe Islands. First accurately shown on an Argentine government chart of 1957. Named by the United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Commi ...

                                               

Winkle Island (Antarctica)

Winkle Island is the island lying between Tula Point and Pickwick Island, Pitt Islands, in the Biscoe Islands. It is separated from Renaud Island to the southwest by Mraka Sound. The island was shown on an Argentine government chart of 1957. It w ...

Encyclopedic dictionary

Translation